Evan B. Shapiro, M.D. received his degree of medicine from SUNY at Buffalo in May 1981. He then completed a residency and chief residency in obstetrics and gynecology in June 1985 at Long Island Jewish Hospital. Dr. Shapiro joined an established Ob-Gyn private practice group in July 1985.
In April 1998, Dr. Shapiro was recruited to be the chief of the obstetrical and gynecological divisor of ProHEALTH care associates, LLP, a large multi specially medical group that included approximately 100 providers. At the completion of five years as division chief, he founded Women’s Health and Wellness, a full service Ob-Gyn medical practice and a state of the art medical spa with two locations.
Dr. Shapiro along with maintaining an active obstetrical and gynecological medical and surgical practice, he is an associate of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery and is certified to perform botox injections, dermal fillers, IPL hair removal and fotofacial treatments as well as sclerotherapy.
Dr. Shapiro is also a pioneer in the field of non surgical treatment for uterine fibroids. The newest treatment, FDA approved in October 2004, is a procedure called ExAblate which uses MRI guided focused ultrasound to treat the fibroids while the patient is awake and able to return to normal activity the following day.
- 1973 – 1977 B.A. SUNY at Buffalo
- 1975 – 1977 Roswell Park Memorial Institute
- 1977 – 1981 M.D. SUNY at Buffalo
Post Graduate Training
- 1981 – 1982 PGY I, Long Island Jewish Hospital – Obstetrics & Gynecology
- 1982 – 1985 PGY II-IV Long Island Jewish Hospital – Obstetrics & Gynecology
Professional Employment and Hospital Appointments
- Director of Women’s Health & Wellness, Dec 2003 ‘-Present
- Division Chief of OB/GYN – ProHealth Care Associates, LLP, April 1998 – April 2003
- Multi-specialty Group Private Practice – ProHealth Care Associates, LLP, April 1998 – Dec 2003
- Service Attending – Long Island Jewish Hospital, 1993 – Present
- Group Private Practice, July 1985 – April 1998
- Associate Attending – Long Island Jewish Medical Center, July 1985 – Present
- Clinical Instructor – Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1993 – Present
- Active Staff/Assistant Attending – North Shore University Hospital, 2001 – Present
- Winthrop University Hospital, June 2005
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1987
- American board of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Recertification, 1997
Professional Society Membership
- Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Member: Queens Medical Society; Nassau Medical Society
- Member: Queens Gynecological Society; Gynecological Laser Society
- Member: The American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- Member: Gynecologic Surgery Society
Other Professional Activities
- Utilization Review Committee – Long Island Jewish Hospital
- Gynecological Laparoscopy Committee – Long Island Jewish Hospital
- Ob-Gyn Marketing Committee – Long Island Jewish Hospital
- Board of Directors of the Independent Practice Association of Long Island, Inc.
- Oxford Health Plans’ Ob-Gyn Expert Advisory Panel Member